The Australian Institute of Music is very excited to announce a whole raft of new upgrades coming to the Sydney Campus in early 2019!
From the outset of the design process we have worked to put the student at the core; from creating spaces that encourage meaningful collaboration, innovation and creativity among students to other areas that promote spaces for quiet reflection and focus on academic study.
Our goal with these renovations, and in particular with the new area surrounding the John Painter Hall is to create a new campus ‘heart’, a space that every member of the AIM community feels a sense of belonging to and one that fuels your creative inspiration.
You can find a concept video of what this area will look like below.
Some of the key features of the new renovations in Stage One (to be completed over the January/February period);
Building A, Level 5
- Will be renovated and soundproofed to give rise to a new dance space, two new movement areas and a graduate chill-out zone. In addition, the two theatres will be re-soundproofed to ensure separation from each other and new theatre seating will be installed in both.
- UPDATE: Sound proofing has been installed in all new classrooms. Sound proofing is also currently being erected in the two theatres with new chairs being mounted shortly.
Building B, Level 3
- All existing rooms will be demolished apart from JPH and the Space. The area will be turned into a new open and collaborative space with natural lighting, including a new café and performance area.
- UPDATE: Parts of the JPH, surrounding offices and library have all been demolished with the construction phase beginning shortly.
Building A, Level 1
- The composition production suites will be integrated with Audio on Level 1, turning four studios into a combined Audio/Production space. The offices will be demolished and be replaced by two brand new production suites.
- UPDATE: Walls have been demolished and preparation for next phase of construction has begun.
In terms of access, the completion will be staggered across the end of January with the final handover in February 2019. This means we should have access to Building A, Level 5 before the start of SP1 as well as access to the Audio and Production suites on Level 1.
The other areas we will have staggered access as they are completed.
While we will be releasing more details in the next few weeks as well as giving regular progress updates, we will be working closely with campus management to ensure the construction process runs smoothly with as limited disruption to everyday activities as possible.
Proposed Construction Dates:
Stage 1: 10th Dec – 16th Feb
Stage 2: April (more detail to come)
Check back here for regular updates!
If you'd like to find out more about the courses AIM offers